Saturday, July 13, 2013

Birchbox Unboxing: July 2013

Hey, everyone! Sorry for the delay in posting yesterday and today. I was on vacation all week and pre-typed five posts for this blog, leaving out my last full day and my travel day with the glorious envision that I would bring my laptop down to the pool and get some work done. Unfortunately, when I was poolside, I found myself napping rather than working (can you blame me?)

I've been subscribed to Birchbox for four months now with this box being my sixth. My mom and I cancelled our first subscription last year after two months, not being very impressed. When she told me that she wanted to try it again, I agreed. We seem to like these boxes better than the ones from the previous year.


For those of you who don't already know, Birchbox is a monthly subscription service that sends a personalized selection of deluxe-sized beauty samples to your door for $10 a month. Over the course of its reign, Birchbox has been viewed from phenomenal to horrendous, but has recently brought themselves back up to par with other the other beauty box services that have popped up. 


When you open your box, the samples are wrapped in pink tissue paper (the inside of the box is also chevron--I love it!) with a card that explains the theme that inspired the products on one side, as well as a list of the products, their descriptions, and the full-sized retail price of the products in your specific box on the other. This month's theme? Power Play: a box dedicated to helping you take control of situations.


The box is set up so nothing spills/breaks, with smaller/more delicate items placed in a little cardboard box. I've never had an problems with things breaking my boxes, but that's not to say that it never happens.


While the box looks packed when put together, when taken apart you can see there are five items: four regular samples and then a "Lifestyle Extra" which is Birchbox's signiture and is simply something completely random. It can be anything from food to a free song download to a hair tie.


Clockwise from Top: Marcelle BB Cream, Juicy Couture Juicy Couture, Frais Hand Sanitizer, Benta Berry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream, Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect

This box really impressed me. In the past, the samples have been really heavy in one department (all skincare, all hair care, etc.) and have included foil packets, which are NOT deluxe samples. Foil packets are available free at beauty counters, and allow roughly one use of the sample, which isn't enough to get a lasting impact (which is the point of a beauty box).

My box included:

  • Juicy Couture Juicy Couture perfume sample 
  • Marcelle BB Cream in Golden Glow 
  • Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect 
  • Benta Berry G-1 Moisturizing Face Cream 
  • Frais Hand Sanitizer (Lifestyle Extra)
This box truly was universially appealing. There was a skincare sample (Benta Berry moisturizer), a hair care sample (Number 4 Super Comb), a makeup sample (Marcelle BB Cream), a perfume sample (Juicy Couture), and something used in every day life (hand sanitizier). In my opinion, the only thing missing was a nail polish! I also like how Birchbox tends to partner with brands that aren't as commonly heard of. Beauty boxes are for trying things you wouldn't pick out yourself, and while seeing something from a big-name company is nice, I like trying out things I don't see on the shelves as often. 


Overall, I'm very pleased with this box! I worked out the value to be roughly $17, which is almost double what you pay for. However, this isn't as great as it could be. Other boxes have definitely been less, but I've definitely seen boxes hit that price value with just one product. 

Are you subscribed to Birchbox?
xoxo
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment