Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Rimmel SCANDALEYES Eye Shadow Pencil: Review and Swatches

I always get super jealous of  British beauty bloggers when they talk about products that are either haven't been released or are unavailable in the States, especially when it comes to Rimmel. Rimmel is very affordable and has recently been coming out with some amazing, kick-butt products that have been flying off the shelves. An example of that are the SCANDALEYES Eye Shadow pencils, and I finally got my hands on this one in Bulletproof Beige.


I love jumbo shadow pencils. They're just so easy and versatile and perfect for those days when A, you don't really feel like spending a ton time on your makeup or B, you don't have the time to spend. The Rimmel versions remind me a lot of the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils, which I absolutely adore (my favorite being Yogurt). The Rimmel SCANDALEYES pencils are quite thinner, and I have to say I kind of like the NYX formulation a little more because of that. However, they don't seem to crease over a primer, but I wouldn't skip the priming step. Jumbo pencils tend to crease when used as a primer and not a base/cream shadow.


The color of this is a really pretty, metallic/shimmery, golden champagne. The color reminds me of Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Barely Branded. It's virtually the same thing, just in different form.


The actually pencil point comes to a "sharper" (it's not by any means sharp) point than other shadow pencils I've seen, which is better for precision placement (the lower lashline/inner corner/brow bone). I think this is useful for darker colors. This is a pencil that needs to be sharpened. It doesn't necessarily sway me one way or another. I really only prefer sharpening pencils for eyeliners, as I like to have a sharp point at the end of precision.


And here's the swatch! It's creamy, blendable and pigmented and perfect for everyday.


Despite giving a very positive review, there is something that really disappoints me in this line: the color selection. The formulation is really nice, but I wish they had more neutral colors! The only other one I've seen that I might be into is a white, as while as a dark, bronzy-brown. The rest of the colors are bright and loud, which just isn't my taste. Come on, Rimmel, bring out some better colors!

If you like jumbo shadow pencils, I would check these out. And even better, if you like bright colors, you'll probably love the selection. These retail for roughly $4 and are available wherever Rimmel products are sold!

Do you like jumbo shadow pencils?
xoxo
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment