Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Elf Translucent Mattifying Powder: Review

I've grown to rely on translucent powders, as they don't require a color match and fit my complexion all year round. While I still like powders that give a bit of color and a bit of coverage, in the past few months, I've been reaching instead for my translucent options.

Unfortunately, my trusty Rimmel Stay Matte is easily the most inconvenient pressed powder for the handbag. With no mirror, no applicator and a screw on lid, it's just not practical. That being said, I had heard some hype on the Elf Mattifying version, so for $3, I thought "why the heck not?" 


If you're familiar with the Elf Studio line, this packing is, like the rest, nothing special. Black and plastic, with a full-lid mirror and a compartment for a sponge, it seemed like something good for my makeup bag. I'm not necessarily against sponges for powder application, so I brought this along in my bag as is. 



Upon first swatch, this would seem like it would show up on the skin, but I don't really find that to be a problem! It's smooth, invisible, and actually does produce a nice and subtle matte finish. However, I don't have oily skin, so I'm not sure how this would work for someone who has a problem with excess oil. I have read that this is a good product for that too, but for someone with dry skin, a little bit of this applied with the sponge it comes with and I find that it doesn't make me too matte, but helps my face makeup from budging over the course of the day.



The overall rating: okay. I like this, but its not as good as other powders I've tried. Rimmel Stay Matte is my favorite, but I also LOVE the Maybelline Dream Matte and the Arbonne Sheer Pressed Powder. You can find the Elf version at Target or Kmart for $3. 

What kind or coverage do you like with powders? 
xoxo
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment