Wednesday, August 21, 2013

In-Brand Throw Down: Burt's Bees

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with a fan of moisturizing lip products and that I love the drugstore options. Surprisingly, I had never tried the brand that everyone and their cat seemed to rave about: Burt's Bees. With the reputation of being the best lip balms available for the drugstore price, I finally decided to give them a try. But my issue? There were different formulations, so over the course of the past week and a half or so, I've accumulated three different ones, and now I'm back to tell you my thoughts.

The three I have are the Replenishing Lip Balm with Essential Oils (mine is in Pomegranate), the Hibiscus Tinted Lip Balm and the Lip Shimmer in Cherry. 

Clockwise from top left: Replenishing with
Pomegranate Oil, Hibiscus Tinted, and Lip Shimmer
in Cherry
First off, the Replenishing Lip Balm. These are made with different essential oils, depending on which one from the line you pick out. I picked out pomegranate, as I tend to like products with it on the ingredient list. This is slightly, slightly tinted a reddish coral. It smells like Carmex, which surprised me. I would have thought it would smell fruity, but nope! In terms of moisture, this is nice, but not as good as other lip balms I've tried. I'd give it a 5/10. Retailing for $3-4, it's average on price point. 



Next up, the Hibiscus Tinted Lip Balm. These are the most popular from the brand, and I picked Hibiscus as it's one of my favorite flowers, plus I've heard nice things about the color. I can't really detect a scent, but if anything it's a little sweet. In terms of pigmentation, I would classify this in the same category as the Maybelline Baby Lips. It's definitely more moisturizing than the replenishing one, and I'd give it a 7.5/10. It would have gotten a solid 8 or even higher, but priced at $6.99, it's pretty hefty for a low end lip balm. 

Lastly is the Lip Shimmer in Cherry. It smells very minty and feels a teensy bit tingly on the lips, which isn't my favorite but doesn't bother me either. It reminds me very much of the Revlon Lip Butter in Cherry Tart. It gives a good color pay off and really tints the lips. It's not too  moisturizing though, and the texture is a bit chunky due to the shimmer. I give it a 4/10. I don't think I'd purchase any more of these, even at $3 each.

Left to Right: Replenishing, Hibiscus Tinted, Cherry
Lip Shimmery
The winner? The Hibiscus Tinted Lip Balm. I would buy more of these, although I don't think Burt's Bees is the best brand for lip balms in the drugstore (Nivea still holds that title for me!). I do however, love their skin products (especially the cuticle cream!).

Are you a lover of Burt's Bees?
xoxo
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment