Saturday, November 16, 2013

Birchbox: November 2013 + Update!

Hello, everyone! It's been over a month since my last post, and I have no idea how time passed so quickly. I feel like just yesterday I was complaining about going back to school and now it's almost Thanksgiving.

Before I get into today's post, I did want to do a quick update on what's been going on and where I've been. As soon as school started, every second of my life was taken up! Between driver's ed, editing the yearbook, assistant directing the school play, and you know, schoolwork, blogging kind of took a back seat. I planned on starting again the day after my play finished, but I ended up with family stuff and I just found it a bit hard to write. But now I'm back...and hopefully to stay! *fingers crossed*

Anyway, today is about Birchbox. Unfortunately I had to skip my October post, but I was seriously in love with my box, so I was really exciting when this little guy (or girl, I guess?) arrived at my door.


This month's theme is More Good, which is tailored to "...the abundance in all forms. More thanks, more giving, and more thoughtfulness." In short, it focuses on charitable beauty brands that give back. I think it's a good theme for November to coincide with Thanksgiving. 


My first two samples went together, but were counted separately: Beauty Protector Protect&Shampoo and Protect&Condition. Upon first sniff, they smell like a salon and they are new to the Beauty Protector brand. The bottles look like a travel size, which in my opinion, is the perfect amount of product to truly tell if it works or doesn't. However, while they are nicely sized, I kind of wish they were grouped together as one sample and I would have gotten something else. It just feels kind of cope out-ish to count this as 2/5 of my samples.


Next up, nail polish! More specifically, Color Club's On the Rocks, which is from their new Cocktail Hour Collection. It's a gorgeous shimmery, metallic silver that looks like liquid metal. How much more perfect for the holidays can you get? I picture this as an accent nail with a deep, berry red a bit closer to Christmas. And I promise, Birchbox, I will never complain about Color Club in my box--their formulations are underrated, in my opinion. 


Number four is the Dr. Jart + Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25+. I've heard YouTuber  MeghanRosette  (one of my favorites) rave about this so I was looking to try it. However, there is practically nothing to this. BB Creams are used in place on foundation, and you really need to wear foundation four or five times before you can really make a decision on the wear, skin reaction, etc. I doubt I'll get more than two uses out of this, which sucks. But it is a product I've wanted to give a go. 


My least favorite is the Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy Noir sample, and not because I hated the smell. I actually kind of really liked it, and I'm not usually a major fan of Juicy Couture fragrances. I just cannot stand getting perfume samples in my box. Any person can walk up to any beauty counter or into any store and ask for a perfume sample and receive the same thing for free. I wouldn't mind them if they were an extra, but I don't want them as part of my five. 


And finally...the best part. Birchbox introduced their new section: Birchbox Finds, which is a completely extra item in the box that isn't related to beauty. There won't be one in every month's box, it's just something a bit extra that the company discovered as is loving. And the first Birchbox Find? A full-sized Ghirardelli chocolate bar in the new toffee flavor. Not only do I love Ghirardelli, but I LOVE toffee, so I squealed in delight upon finding this. It makes up for the perfume sample (and not many things would).


The box also includes a fun little Holiday guide with tips and tricks from Birchbox. It's something cute and quirky to flip through.


I didn't figure out my exact total, but I know I passed ten with the chocolate and the nail polish. All in all, I'm happy with this box. But please, Birchbox: no more perfume samples!!


Want to subscribe?* http://www.birchbox.com/
*not an affiliated link

What subscription box service are you subscribed to?
xoxo
Alyssa




No comments:

Post a Comment